Zanzibar is committed to developing a modern manufacturing industry with backward and forward linkages. The Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar (RGZ) is encouraging light manufacturing through putting in place attractive incentives for industrial projects. -
Free Economic Zones have been purposely established to attract private investment, with the Business Environment Improvement Programme providing a strong roadmap. Zanzibar passed a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Act in 2015, creating a framework for attracting private capital to develop, operate and maintain essential infrastructure and services. Furthermore, RGZ has strengthened Zanzibar Bureau of Standards as a way of ensuring quality of products and services.
Food Agro-processing Industries for Milling, Processing, Packaging and Canning
- Meat and fish: meat cuts and meat products; fish fillet and fish products; poultry and poultry products.
- Horticulture Food products: vegetables and fruits.
- Natural sweetness: sugar, honey and their derivative products.
- Salts: Rock salts and sea salts.
- Dairy Products: milk and milk products.
- Beverages: soft drinks, organic juices.
- Natural Food Additives: spices, seaweed and culinary herbs.
- Grains: e.g maize, rice and wheat and Tubers: e.g cassava and potatoes.
Textile, Apparel and Beauty Products Industries
- Textile and Garments.
- Cosmetics and fragrances.
Building and Construction material industries
- Household electrification material for wiring and lighting.
- Sanitary ware, ironmongery and plumbing accessories.
- Bricks and building blocks.
- Construction aggregates.
- Wall Protection Paints, Wallpapers and Roofing Materials.
- Wood Building Columns, Panels and Decorative Products.
- Construction stones, Decorative and Paving Stones.
- Building Construction Glass and Decoration Glass/Glassware.
- Gypsum Building Columns and Panels and Decorative products.
Pharmaceutical and Medical Equipment Supply Industries
- Malaria and Tropical disease drugs.
- Antibiotics drugs.
- Medical Consumable supplies: e.g bandages, gauze, plasters, and surgical gloves.
- Medical Surgical Equipment and Machinery.
- Medical Diagnostic Equipment and Machinery.
High Value Intellectual Capital industries
- Biotechnology industries.
- Industrial material and Product Innovation.
Consumer Durable Goods Production- Component Manufacturer and/or Assembling
- Domestic Appliances e.g cookers, catering equipment, refrigerators and air conditions.
- Office equipment: e.g computers, printers and e-commerce equipment.
- Household utensils: e.g cookware, crockery and chinaware.
- Consumer electronics goods (e.g laptop computers, television receiver sets, audio visual entertainment equipment, cellphone hand sets and e-notepads.
- Office and school stationeries.
- Private automotive vehicle and Motorized riders.
- Capital Good Production- Component Assembly.
- Fishing Boats and Commercial Fishing Vessels.
- Fixed and Mobile telecommunication equipment.